BE GRATEFUL for EVERYTHING
It’s one of the fastest ways to really grow, change and get more of what you desire.
The cool thing is once your subconscious mind hears the word “grateful” it automatically goes searching for more things to be grateful for. Gratitude organically grows once you become habituated to expressing it. For Everything.
It’s easy to feel grateful for the good stuff, when things are going your way, because it’s obvious. But it takes some effort to be grateful for the shitty stuff too. And that’s the stuff that tests your mettle, teaches you the lessons you need to learn, and forces you to grow.
Research shows that writing about what you’re grateful for has advantages over just thinking the thoughts: It makes you more aware of them, deepening their emotional impact. This ranges from the mundane (You’re upright and breathing) to the sublime (Your BFF who holds your hand through all the fires) to the timeless (A sunset reminding you that Nature/God/Creative intelligence has this whole “life” thing figured out, so you can stop worrying about it).
- Go deep, not wide. Go into detail about a particular thing you’re grateful for, it carries more benefits than a superficial list of lots of things.
- Get personal. Focus on the people in your life you’re grateful for and why. It has a bigger impact than focusing on things for which you are grateful.
- Savor surprises. Try to record things that are unexpected or surprising. They tend to elicit stronger levels of gratitude.
- Act as if. If you can’t bring yourself to be grateful for something you wish you could be grateful for, state exactly that: I wish I could be grateful for that jackass that broke my heart.
And by all means if you don’t have pen and paper handy, be grateful out loud or in your head!
- Breathe/Meditate (5 minutes)
- You’ve gotten good enough to practice on your own with some meditation music
2. Daily Pages
- Set timer if you want to
- Respond to Journal Prompt~Look at the Bullet points above and respond practicing Stream of Consciousness~write whatever comes to mind